Skip to main content

My Pretty Goblin Princess


Y'know, usually I pass over Goblins because they're just not really my kind of cryptid. Nothing against them, I just don't find their designs particularly intriguing, nor do I find their color scheme all that fun to discuss, but every now and then I do come across one that tickles my funny bone, and this guy was certainly one of those. As soon as I saw him on eBay I knew I had to talk about him and his gargantuan mouth. I mean, let's be honest, this guy clearly swallows his food whole like a snake, right? That's a skill I wish I had. I want to be able to eat like a cartoon character. Just put a whole chicken in my mouth and pull out the skeleton.

I think, personally, his best quality is his teeth. A lot of masks just forgo the teeth without realizing they can be an excellent accessory visually, and whoever designed this mask understood that, because those are some twisted ass chompers and they only add to the unsettling nature of this little Goblin bastard whom I've now decided is named Princess. Honestly, one of the reasons I usually skip over the Goblin masks I come across is because they're generally just not interesting, design wise, but this guy is A+ material all around, and whoever designed and sculpted him really knocked it out of the park. He's got a great face that's completely misshapen along with killer yellow eyes and that horrifying mouth. This is something straight out of a nightmare, really.

Sure, Princess's color outside of their eyes is still pretty boring, the same usual boring grey, but who cares. He's so well made that I'm willing to overlook the spots they fell short on.

Princess even has excellently crafted ears, and from a side glance is honestly even more terrifying than from the front view. I not only like the lines and wrinkles they put on him, but also like the brown veins added onto his skin to give him a more distinct appearance. That really does help offset the usual generic grey tone these masks tend to have, and it really works.

Their eyes are also not circular, but more slanted, making them look more frightening than they would've been otherwise, further proving that whoever made this mask really knew what they were doing, as that's an excellent choice. What I find particularly interesting, however, is the way the length of the jaw seems to change depending on the viewpoint. From the front it seems incredibly long, but from the side, it doesn't seem very long at all. I know it's just a very odd optical illusion dependent entirely upon how you're viewing it, but I still think that's really interesting nonetheless.

Princess is an excellent mask. This is actually one of those rare instances where I don't even have much to joke about, because it's just so perfectly crafted.

I'm also a fan of whoever took these photos and decided to prop the mask up by what appears to be a religious stake they've impaled Princess's disembodied head onto as a warning to the other nearby Goblins. Really adds to the whole ambiance.

I generally try to avoid the typical creatures for masks; your standards, you know? The vampires, the zombies, the werewolves, the ghosts and ghouls and goblins. But every now and again, like with Fat Dracula or Princess here, the design is so good that I can't in my right mind pass up the opportunity to showcase it. So many masks will do wrinkles, but so many of them do it either so half ass or overdo it that it becomes a negative aspect instead of something that adds to the visual, but Princess really gets it perfect. He's got wrinkles, but not too many, and not too deep, and they only go just up his forehead, and then the rest of him is smooth as a baby Goblin's butt (I would assume, I'm never seen a baby Goblin butt). It really makes it look all the more real, or at least as real as a Goblin Halloween mask can look.

So here's to Princess, and his Goblin kingdom. I for one would happily pledge allegiance to his crusty ghoulish lord and do his bidding.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dr. Latexstein & His Rubber Brain Of Doom

Why does every single mad scientist look the same? Why's there no variety in this field? Dr. Robotnik, Professor Farnsworth, Dr. Horrible, Professor Membrane, you name a mad scientist and immediately an image is conjured in your head, right? Specifically the goggles. They ALL have these goggles. What is it about these goggles? Where did this trope come from, because I, for the life of me, cannot figure it out. Needless to say, that's what we're dealing with today. And, as with most mad scientists, this guy is one ugly son of a bitch. That's another problem isn't it? They're all typically very unattractive. Big bushy mustaches, enormous noses, their brains popping out of their fluff of electrified hair. Oh wait, that's just Dr. Latexsten here. Yeah, you might be surprised to learn that - especially since you can't see it in the main photo for this post - you can actually see his brain. Wanna see his brain? It's pretty cool. Who doesn't wanna see a

Over The Marrow & Through The Blood

Kids! Get your masks on! We're almost at Grandmas! You know, it surprises me just how many different monster designs have been created over the years, and I think it says something about the elasticity of what a "monster" can be that there's been so many unique takes on the concept. For instance, a monster can be a fully black mass with white hot glowing eyes, or a monster could be a tall creature with elongated limbs and sharp teeth that glint in the moonlight, or a monster can be a girl you take out multiple times who in the end ghosts you because despite saying she was looking for love what she was actually looking for was to make herself feel better at the expense of someone else (LAUREN), but no matter what your definition of a monster may be, one thing is certain: there will always be a new version of a monster. But so rarely do we get a monster that looks more like it's going to bake you cookies and tell you stories about the old days than actually do you h

Gerald Bojangles & His Boneyard Jamboree

Really kinda slept on this way this Halloween, didn't I? Missed the train, I did. Ah well. Here we are now, so put your skinless hands together for good ol' Mr. Gerald Bojangles & His Boneyard Jamboree! This is a Ben Cooper style mask (I don't think it's made by Cooper himself, but don't quote me on that), and, honestly, it makes me so happy. Gerald Bojangles just looks so goddamned happy doesn't he? So utterly thrilled to be here with you, in pure skeletal format, so he can play you the organ without his organs. He just looks so very jovial, doesn't he? I mean, he's got a big grin on his face, and an absolutely adorable tiny bowler cap, which just screams "I'm fun!" He looks like the leader of a big swing band in a jazz club, and I'm all for it. I also like the thick black outline that encompasses his entirety, almost like he's ripped straight out of the pages of a comic book. And I would be remiss if I didn't mention the c