Skip to main content

Punky BOOOOster

"It's not a fad, mom and dad, it's a lifestyle!"

And thus began the story of Punk Booooster, the scariest punk rocker this side of the afterlife. Countless women were dazzled by not only his musical but also sexual prowess, and he very quickly shot up to the top of the charts of Hell's Hot 100. You know, horror and rock and rock are very closely entwined. In the 80s, there was a plethora of horror movies literally built around heavy metal music and or certain bands. And even in all the films that weren't, the soundtracks often featured rock music. Imagery in rock and roll is often tied closely to that of the occult. Skeletons, satan, etc. So it really comes as no surprise to me that when it came to designing Halloween masks, someone eventually stumbled onto the "I'll do both at once!" model.

Frankly, if anything, I'm actually more surprised it hasn't been done more often.

And this mask is a great example of doing it right. It's not really either or, it's both, and in such subtle ways that you can't tie it to either one specifically. This just happens to be a kickass skeleton with a mohawk. No more, no less. But what a design it is, right? I mean, the skull itself still has tendons and muscle on it, and the mohawk is made out of bones? Fantastic. Just fantastic. And he's missing the bottom his jaw, but he's got the top teeth. Oh man, whoever designed this thing knew what they were doing, and I salute them for it. No better choice could've been made for the first post in October this year. He's also, weirdly enough, apparently got bolts and metal clippings on his head, making it appear more like a Frankenstein-esque creature than just a random skull, which is a nice little touch. It's those little details that are added that give more weight to the story of this mask than you're ever really presented with, and I for one appreciate that level of commitment to your artistry.

Actually, looking at it from the side here, it appears that my "Frankenstein" comment was not without some spot of truth, because now I'm realizing those little flecks of metal and bolts are literally holding the muscle and sinew onto what is a plain skull. This isn't just a decomposing skull. This is a skull that had a new face put ONTO it. That's metal as fuck dude.

Also, and this doesn't have much to do with the mask itself and moreso the photos, but I can't help but giggle endlessly at the setting of these. This absolutely kick ass skull mask is apparently being photographed at a catered wedding on a gated community. Awww, maybe Punky's finally tying the knot and settling down with someone! Maybe this is HIS wedding! How cute.

Seriously though, this is one of the cooler masks I think I've featured here in recent memory. It's odd. When I find these masks and decide to cover them, I choose them simply because they're there. It's only once I push them into a post that I start to really analyze them, and, as a result, recognize just how neat they are in terms of design. I mean, this thing is like someone took someone else's skull, created a face for it, slapped them together and then gave him a bone mohawk. A bohawk, if you will. That's really cool, honestly, and I'm surprised it takes me actually doing a write up to really sift through all the detailing, but that's why I like doing this blog as much (I hope) you like reading it. We both get to learn things!

I also really like the little tendrils of flesh hanging down from the side and in the front. Those little fleshy bits really do add to the idea that this was just skin ripped from someone else's face and attached to this skull. His eyes are shaped too, which is an interesting choice. One is fairly wide open, but the other has a sort of furrowed glare, and I think that's a neat idea. Gives him a real attitude, ya know? And nowhere in rock and roll is attitude more important, frankly.

But I have to admit, it's the mohawk that sells it. That ties it all together.

It's one thing to just make a creepy mask, especially one that's as original as this appears to be, but it's another to go the extra mile and add a feature like a bone mohawk seemingly made out of the skeletal remains of a hand that make it truly stand out. The teeth are a nice touch, the staples and bolts are cool, but it's the mohawk that really brings it all home. So often, when a mask is given hair, it's either that generic Halloween wig we've seen time and time again, or it's something that's also molded out of rubber, but we rarely see a hairstyle choice be given this much attention. I don't think, in the history of this blog, I've ever once featured a mask with mohawk, let alone a bone mohawk. That's just downright badass, honestly, and I love him for it, and thank you to whoever designed this glorious son of a bitch.

Punky Booooster looks like he belongs right on the front cover of a heavy metal album, shredding a guitar made of snakes while the flames of the devil lick at his dangling remains of flesh. And you know what? I'd buy that album in an instant, and I don't even like heavy metal music, but I DO like Punky Booooster.
 

Rock on, Punky. Rock on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dr. Latexstein & His Rubber Brain Of Doom

Why does every single mad scientist look the same? Why's there no variety in this field? Dr. Robotnik, Professor Farnsworth, Dr. Horrible, Professor Membrane, you name a mad scientist and immediately an image is conjured in your head, right? Specifically the goggles. They ALL have these goggles. What is it about these goggles? Where did this trope come from, because I, for the life of me, cannot figure it out. Needless to say, that's what we're dealing with today. And, as with most mad scientists, this guy is one ugly son of a bitch. That's another problem isn't it? They're all typically very unattractive. Big bushy mustaches, enormous noses, their brains popping out of their fluff of electrified hair. Oh wait, that's just Dr. Latexsten here. Yeah, you might be surprised to learn that - especially since you can't see it in the main photo for this post - you can actually see his brain. Wanna see his brain? It's pretty cool. Who doesn't wanna see a

Over The Marrow & Through The Blood

Kids! Get your masks on! We're almost at Grandmas! You know, it surprises me just how many different monster designs have been created over the years, and I think it says something about the elasticity of what a "monster" can be that there's been so many unique takes on the concept. For instance, a monster can be a fully black mass with white hot glowing eyes, or a monster could be a tall creature with elongated limbs and sharp teeth that glint in the moonlight, or a monster can be a girl you take out multiple times who in the end ghosts you because despite saying she was looking for love what she was actually looking for was to make herself feel better at the expense of someone else (LAUREN), but no matter what your definition of a monster may be, one thing is certain: there will always be a new version of a monster. But so rarely do we get a monster that looks more like it's going to bake you cookies and tell you stories about the old days than actually do you h

Gerald Bojangles & His Boneyard Jamboree

Really kinda slept on this way this Halloween, didn't I? Missed the train, I did. Ah well. Here we are now, so put your skinless hands together for good ol' Mr. Gerald Bojangles & His Boneyard Jamboree! This is a Ben Cooper style mask (I don't think it's made by Cooper himself, but don't quote me on that), and, honestly, it makes me so happy. Gerald Bojangles just looks so goddamned happy doesn't he? So utterly thrilled to be here with you, in pure skeletal format, so he can play you the organ without his organs. He just looks so very jovial, doesn't he? I mean, he's got a big grin on his face, and an absolutely adorable tiny bowler cap, which just screams "I'm fun!" He looks like the leader of a big swing band in a jazz club, and I'm all for it. I also like the thick black outline that encompasses his entirety, almost like he's ripped straight out of the pages of a comic book. And I would be remiss if I didn't mention the c