Skip to main content

An Afterschool Special With Grandpa Troll


Normally when picking masks for this blog, I would only choose things that feature the mask proper. Occasionally I'll come across one that shows the mask being utilized outside of just general photos, and I'll usually save those for the Round Ups, but this is an instance where I'm willing to break my own rules. There's just something absolutely spectacular about these photos, and the mask is a big part of why. I'll also usually avoid masks that are fairly standard and generic, such as witches, goblins, werewolves, etc, and trolls are no different. They're such a standard amongst the monsters and mask design that I simply refuse to really cover them, often because they're also not ever really done uniquely. But this set of photos, and the mask to boot, proved me wrong.

Grandpa Troll here is enjoying a nice summer day on his wicker chair, watching his hideous troll grandchildren play in the yard. I think a big part of what makes this whole thing work is simply the beard. The mask itself is great, and we'll get into the details certainly, but the beard is what really ties it all together. Usually hair on masks is terrible, and a lot of masks forego the beard outright, even if they're necessary. Or, and this is a cardinal sin in my eyes, they simply make the hair or beard out of latex, like everything else. You just don't do that, man.

But this thing? This thing has a real beard. Okay, it's probably not real hair. I highly doubt someone shaved an Alpaca purely for the hair required for this mask, but it's still impressive nonetheless.And, as an added bonus, it covers the area where the mask and the body meet, which makes it actually seem somewhat like its the persons real face. A really really good creative decision, honestly. But that's enough drooling over a beard, let's look at this thing up close. Come, Grandpa Troll, let us closely inspect your face.

And I can think of no better place to start than with the eyes. The mask itself has a lot of detailing - wrinkles, bags under the eyes, a big ol' honkin' nose - but as cool as the nose and the ears and the beard are, and as much as they attract the eyes because of their enormity, I personally think the eyes are the nicest visual addition to this design. The eyes are sad, like Grandpa Troll is reflecting on a life best forgotten, yet appreciative of the time he's had on this horrible earth. The color is also excellent, because it actually matches the skin tone of the mask proper. There's a small shade of mint grin, but it's also mixed with that sickly cobalt, and altogether it works.

Eyes are, just like hair, usually an area that gets ignored or done improperly. Which is ridiculous, because eyes are often one of the best pieces you can use to your advantage, design wise. I can't believe how many masks I run across that don't do something even remotely interesting with their eye design. Then again, a lot of masks have empty eyeholes so the wearer can see out it, so this is kind an unusual mask once again, because I can confidently say I have no idea how someone is expected to see out of this thing.

The exaggerated features are, of course, what draws you to the whole thing though, that much cannot be denied. The big ears and big nose. But there's so much sculpting technique that went into giving this mask age. Whoever did this gave him a face full of years, thanks to the wrinkles and lines they put into his skin, and that's another nice little touch.

Again, far too often are the masks I cover - cool as they might be - are rarely given history in their face. They appear fake, because they don't have any patina, even man made. I like it when a designer goes the extra mile and gives it those small touches that make it really seem like this is the face of a thousand year old being. This level of craftsmanship is rarely encountered, and it's a shame, because when it is, I'm not only impressed, but also disappointed in what everyone else churns out, when I know they could be doing better. Then again, this is, as much as it is an art form, also an industry, and an industry only knows fast and cheap. There's a reason Marvel movies have become the bread and butter of the megabucks film world this past decade.

All in all, I think Grandpa Troll is one of the best designed masks I've ever had the pleasure of covering, and I'm more than happy to share him with the rest of you. It's masks like this that make me want to keep doing this blog for years to come, just to see what other treasures I might uncover. As for Grandpa Troll, he's here to stay, so long as he remembers to take his medicine and not overexert himself. He is thousands of years old, after all. Last thing he needs is a hip replacement.

Love you, Grandpa Troll.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dr. Latexstein & His Rubber Brain Of Doom

Why does every single mad scientist look the same? Why's there no variety in this field? Dr. Robotnik, Professor Farnsworth, Dr. Horrible, Professor Membrane, you name a mad scientist and immediately an image is conjured in your head, right? Specifically the goggles. They ALL have these goggles. What is it about these goggles? Where did this trope come from, because I, for the life of me, cannot figure it out. Needless to say, that's what we're dealing with today. And, as with most mad scientists, this guy is one ugly son of a bitch. That's another problem isn't it? They're all typically very unattractive. Big bushy mustaches, enormous noses, their brains popping out of their fluff of electrified hair. Oh wait, that's just Dr. Latexsten here. Yeah, you might be surprised to learn that - especially since you can't see it in the main photo for this post - you can actually see his brain. Wanna see his brain? It's pretty cool. Who doesn't wanna see a

Over The Marrow & Through The Blood

Kids! Get your masks on! We're almost at Grandmas! You know, it surprises me just how many different monster designs have been created over the years, and I think it says something about the elasticity of what a "monster" can be that there's been so many unique takes on the concept. For instance, a monster can be a fully black mass with white hot glowing eyes, or a monster could be a tall creature with elongated limbs and sharp teeth that glint in the moonlight, or a monster can be a girl you take out multiple times who in the end ghosts you because despite saying she was looking for love what she was actually looking for was to make herself feel better at the expense of someone else (LAUREN), but no matter what your definition of a monster may be, one thing is certain: there will always be a new version of a monster. But so rarely do we get a monster that looks more like it's going to bake you cookies and tell you stories about the old days than actually do you h

Gerald Bojangles & His Boneyard Jamboree

Really kinda slept on this way this Halloween, didn't I? Missed the train, I did. Ah well. Here we are now, so put your skinless hands together for good ol' Mr. Gerald Bojangles & His Boneyard Jamboree! This is a Ben Cooper style mask (I don't think it's made by Cooper himself, but don't quote me on that), and, honestly, it makes me so happy. Gerald Bojangles just looks so goddamned happy doesn't he? So utterly thrilled to be here with you, in pure skeletal format, so he can play you the organ without his organs. He just looks so very jovial, doesn't he? I mean, he's got a big grin on his face, and an absolutely adorable tiny bowler cap, which just screams "I'm fun!" He looks like the leader of a big swing band in a jazz club, and I'm all for it. I also like the thick black outline that encompasses his entirety, almost like he's ripped straight out of the pages of a comic book. And I would be remiss if I didn't mention the c