Skip to main content

Doc Brown's Going To Eat Your Brains

"Mom, this year for Halloween, I wanna be zombie Christopher Lloyd!"

Well, this mask is certainly the one to use if that's what you're aiming for. And what a delightful mask it isn't, isn't it? Everything about this guy puts you in a good mood when you see him. He's just got an infectious grin (and it likely is infectious, considering how long he's been dead for, please don't let him actually bite you) that you just can't help but appreciate, and those bugging piercing blue eyes that seem to say, "Trust me, I'm not undead, seriously, I won't hurt you, just come stand over here unarmed for a moment and I'll prove it." Sure, his pallor is your standard generic grey/blue mixture, which is certainly nothing new, but it could be worse, and the veins thrown on for good measure, while, again, not expertly made in any sense of the word, are a nice touch at least.

In all honesty, it isn't exactly the most original mask. Lord knows I've featured my share of undead ghoulish looking grandpas in my time on this site, but something about this one...he just seemed so jovial, so charming, I couldn't help but share him with the world, even if that means the world soon comes crumbling to its knees thanks to his zombie apocalypse. It isn't even, in all honesty, a very well made mask. The rubber is bottom tier, there's virtually no design on the face itself, and hell he doesn't even have real eyebrows! Those suckers are just flat out painted on like the woman working the register at 7/11 at 2am on a Friday night! But in spite of all that, he's still absolutely adorable, isn't he?

Okay, sure, this zombiefied Doc Brown is probably going to kill Marty and use his internal organs to power his time machine, but that doesn't make him any less fantastic, does it? Marty's kind of a snarky pain in the ass, after all. He had it coming. Everything about this mask is so low quality, from the matte of hair they clearly (and, from the looks of it, poorly at that) slapped onto it with 3rd world glue, but the red scars and stains that adorn his skin are so poorly rendered that it makes you wonder why they bothered in the first place.

His eyes, however, are pretty fantastic. They stick out, and they light up apparently, and that's awesome, really. That, in my mind, makes up for the shoddy craftsmanship of the rest of it. Though the hooknose seems a tad...offensive, doesn't it? I don't know. Much as I love this guy, it does give off an odd air of anti-semetic doesn't he? But he can't help it, it's how he was designed, it's not like he asked to look like this. God knows nobody would.

Also, and maybe I just don't understand how this would work because I never had a mask like this, but...it seems to me that this isn't a mask one can wear easily, you know? If the eyes light up, that means you can't see through them, which means it's virtually impossible to walk with this thing on, which makes it more the kind of mask you put for show somewhere instead of actually wearing. Even still, it's a neat little idea, and I wish masks still did these kinds of gimmicks, abstract and often impractical as they may be. Also, and I'm just going off the visual here, that rubber doesn't not look like it breaths well. These rubber masks rarely did, but you could usually stand it for a few hours at least, pulling it off every now and then to really catch some fresh air, but this rubber? It just looks so cheaply produced, and frankly Doc Brown deserves better, doesn't he?

I will admit, I'm a fan of his little chiclet like teeth. I don't know why, but the fact that they're so generic and underdeveloped, visually, makes them all the better, once again proving that, often, simpler is the right decision creatively.

Sorry I don't have more to say about this mask, but really, I think the less I have to say the better, because it means the mask is truly capable of speaking for itself without me extolling its virtues. All I know is that I love undead Christopher Lloyd, just as much as I love actual living human being Christopher Lloyd.

So long as he doesn't eat my brains.

...maybe that's how Doc Brown got so smart in the first place. Hmmm.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dr. Latexstein & His Rubber Brain Of Doom

Why does every single mad scientist look the same? Why's there no variety in this field? Dr. Robotnik, Professor Farnsworth, Dr. Horrible, Professor Membrane, you name a mad scientist and immediately an image is conjured in your head, right? Specifically the goggles. They ALL have these goggles. What is it about these goggles? Where did this trope come from, because I, for the life of me, cannot figure it out. Needless to say, that's what we're dealing with today. And, as with most mad scientists, this guy is one ugly son of a bitch. That's another problem isn't it? They're all typically very unattractive. Big bushy mustaches, enormous noses, their brains popping out of their fluff of electrified hair. Oh wait, that's just Dr. Latexsten here. Yeah, you might be surprised to learn that - especially since you can't see it in the main photo for this post - you can actually see his brain. Wanna see his brain? It's pretty cool. Who doesn't wanna see a

Over The Marrow & Through The Blood

Kids! Get your masks on! We're almost at Grandmas! You know, it surprises me just how many different monster designs have been created over the years, and I think it says something about the elasticity of what a "monster" can be that there's been so many unique takes on the concept. For instance, a monster can be a fully black mass with white hot glowing eyes, or a monster could be a tall creature with elongated limbs and sharp teeth that glint in the moonlight, or a monster can be a girl you take out multiple times who in the end ghosts you because despite saying she was looking for love what she was actually looking for was to make herself feel better at the expense of someone else (LAUREN), but no matter what your definition of a monster may be, one thing is certain: there will always be a new version of a monster. But so rarely do we get a monster that looks more like it's going to bake you cookies and tell you stories about the old days than actually do you h

Gerald Bojangles & His Boneyard Jamboree

Really kinda slept on this way this Halloween, didn't I? Missed the train, I did. Ah well. Here we are now, so put your skinless hands together for good ol' Mr. Gerald Bojangles & His Boneyard Jamboree! This is a Ben Cooper style mask (I don't think it's made by Cooper himself, but don't quote me on that), and, honestly, it makes me so happy. Gerald Bojangles just looks so goddamned happy doesn't he? So utterly thrilled to be here with you, in pure skeletal format, so he can play you the organ without his organs. He just looks so very jovial, doesn't he? I mean, he's got a big grin on his face, and an absolutely adorable tiny bowler cap, which just screams "I'm fun!" He looks like the leader of a big swing band in a jazz club, and I'm all for it. I also like the thick black outline that encompasses his entirety, almost like he's ripped straight out of the pages of a comic book. And I would be remiss if I didn't mention the c