Skip to main content

The Shnoz

Let's be honest, this guy looks like an outright criminal.

The combination of the bad teeth, the enormous nose, the warts and the beanie, this guy is the epitome of cartoon criminal, right? I can't be the only one who feels this way, can I? It's almost a stereotype it's so spot on, really. But you know the real highlight of this mask? The tag.

As much as I love the masks I cover, often I admit the supplemental material comes through in spades just as much if not more, and this tag is a prime example of that. Despite having absolutely no identifying company names on it, it's extremely eye catching; a bright almost goldenrod color, with the most generic text one can muster, it reads thusly:

"For a professional look, before using apply greaseless stage makeup or makeup stick around the eyes. MADE IN USA. Available in stores that want the best for their customers."

There's a lot to unpack in just those 3 brief sentence fragments, so let's take it one at a time, alright? The first part is pretty straight forward advice really, though I'd be willing to argue there's no way to look professional in this god forsaken thing. Instead, it reads more like a tip you'd get on your first day to work in an office building. But then we're hit with the BIG, bold, "MADE IN USA" bit square in the center, as if anyone looking for a mask such as this gives a hoot where it was manufactured. As long as it does the job well, then who cares who produced it? I can't imagine someone in the theater department seeing that and thinking, "Well, I can't not use this mask, it'd be unamerican, and we're patriots of the arts!" Ridiculous. But perhaps the absolute best part of the tag is the last statement, "Available in stores that want the best for their customers." This is a ballsy claim. Outright it's insinuating that any stores that don't carry this mask hate their customers, and then simultaneously patting its own store on the back for carrying it. A double whammy, and sadly, a marketing ploy that often works.

So yeah, the tag is excellent. The garishness of the color mixed with the half ass descriptors makes a pretty entertaining little bit of fun. But how's the mask itself? Well, let's take a second look, this time from the front.

It looks even more horrifying from the front, to be honest.

Those empty eye sockets leering into your soul, those tiny teeth chittering as he draws ever closer and you feel the enormous honks of air coming out of a nose that would make even a horse jealous of its size, this is a face not be trifled with. I do like the subtle forehead wrinkles included, I feel like that's a nice little touch that wasn't as visible in the first image, and the fact that this guy has jowls is now very much prominent, and only adds to the unsettling feature of the whole thing.

But I wanna talk about the hat. Can we talk about the hat? Because it's supposed to be this sort of home invader low tier criminal beanie, from what I can gather, but not only did they pick the most non threatening color one can have, oh no, but apparently it was the selling point. Not, you know, the giant nose. Who cares about a giant nose if you don't have a goofy violet colored beanie to go with it, am I right? And if you think I'm kidding, just check out the eBay listing I found this on.

"Quality knitted hat". The hat alone is worth 10 dollars. Wow. A whopping ten bucks. How did they arrive at that price point? Did they do research? Compare it to other masks with other hats and determined there's was the best quality? Really, I'd like to know how they came to this conclusion, and then why they thought 10 whole dollars was worth bragging about. I have news for you, eBay lister, the HAT ISN'T THE MOST IMPORTANT PART HERE. The low level inner city mob goon it's attached to is what matters here, okay? The size of his nose alone should be able to prove to you which aspect is the most enticing.

I bought a beanie from Walmart a few years ago that was 5 dollars that looks like this hat, except it's yellow, so I feel fairly confident in saying that I'm pretty sure that beanie isn't worth 10 dollars, sorry to break it to you, buddy. Either way, and I can't believe I have to reiterate this as much as I am, the hat isn't the selling point to this mask. It's a nice touch. It's a neat feature. It certainly adds to the character. But I'm pretty goddamned sure the nose the size of the Nile river is actually the selling point here. Just gonna go out on a hunch and assume I'm right with this one.

The proportions are what make this mask stand out, and likely because it has nothing else really going for it. It's not a monster, it's not a creature, it's not even anything really original. It's just a low level criminal with a goofy hat and a giant nose. But hey, sometimes that's enough. I mean, look at me, I just spent an entire blog post talking about him! The Shnoz seems to be working his magic.

I guess the old saying was true after all.

The nose knows.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dr. Latexstein & His Rubber Brain Of Doom

Why does every single mad scientist look the same? Why's there no variety in this field? Dr. Robotnik, Professor Farnsworth, Dr. Horrible, Professor Membrane, you name a mad scientist and immediately an image is conjured in your head, right? Specifically the goggles. They ALL have these goggles. What is it about these goggles? Where did this trope come from, because I, for the life of me, cannot figure it out. Needless to say, that's what we're dealing with today. And, as with most mad scientists, this guy is one ugly son of a bitch. That's another problem isn't it? They're all typically very unattractive. Big bushy mustaches, enormous noses, their brains popping out of their fluff of electrified hair. Oh wait, that's just Dr. Latexsten here. Yeah, you might be surprised to learn that - especially since you can't see it in the main photo for this post - you can actually see his brain. Wanna see his brain? It's pretty cool. Who doesn't wanna see a

Over The Marrow & Through The Blood

Kids! Get your masks on! We're almost at Grandmas! You know, it surprises me just how many different monster designs have been created over the years, and I think it says something about the elasticity of what a "monster" can be that there's been so many unique takes on the concept. For instance, a monster can be a fully black mass with white hot glowing eyes, or a monster could be a tall creature with elongated limbs and sharp teeth that glint in the moonlight, or a monster can be a girl you take out multiple times who in the end ghosts you because despite saying she was looking for love what she was actually looking for was to make herself feel better at the expense of someone else (LAUREN), but no matter what your definition of a monster may be, one thing is certain: there will always be a new version of a monster. But so rarely do we get a monster that looks more like it's going to bake you cookies and tell you stories about the old days than actually do you h

Gerald Bojangles & His Boneyard Jamboree

Really kinda slept on this way this Halloween, didn't I? Missed the train, I did. Ah well. Here we are now, so put your skinless hands together for good ol' Mr. Gerald Bojangles & His Boneyard Jamboree! This is a Ben Cooper style mask (I don't think it's made by Cooper himself, but don't quote me on that), and, honestly, it makes me so happy. Gerald Bojangles just looks so goddamned happy doesn't he? So utterly thrilled to be here with you, in pure skeletal format, so he can play you the organ without his organs. He just looks so very jovial, doesn't he? I mean, he's got a big grin on his face, and an absolutely adorable tiny bowler cap, which just screams "I'm fun!" He looks like the leader of a big swing band in a jazz club, and I'm all for it. I also like the thick black outline that encompasses his entirety, almost like he's ripped straight out of the pages of a comic book. And I would be remiss if I didn't mention the c