Skip to main content

The Bad Boy Of Rubbertown

When you're down in Coolsville, be aware that you're also deep in Rubbertown, where the meanest, slickest gangs of monsters meet. This guy, Johnny Horns, is the head (not to be cute) of the toughest gang around, and he's a pretty decent guy despite that leader role. Sure he may act tough, he may ride a motorcycle and have a bedazzled leather jacket that bears the phrase "Kill The Plastics", but otherwise he's a good guy to have around.

Johnny Horns isn't a bad guy any means. He's got a good set of morals and a decent head on his head on his shoulders, but that doesn't mean he won't fuck you up and sideways if you cross him or hurt any of his family. He's tough, but he's fair, and he'll give you two shakes of a lambs tail before he brings the hammer of rubber justice down on you hard.

Seriously though, this thing is great. It's such a unique design. It's missing a jaw, first of all, despite being a mask you wear around your whole head, and it has this weird stylistic pattern on the face that makes him look otherworldly. I love the yellowed teeth that cover up the top half of your mouth, but of course the absolute best aspects of this mask are - without question - the horns and the pompadour.

 I mean, just look at this goddamned hair. Is that slick or what? That mixed with the sideburns, the eyebrows, one eye only half open in a squint and the horns makes this like a tough mid 50s Vegas bad boy with a heart of gold, like if James Dean had been a demon. James Demon. I can't get over the decision to make these half faces, though, I think that's so fascinating.

Usually with rubber wrap around masks, you get an entire face, but whoever designed this mold decided that it'd actually be creepier if your lower half of your face was exposed, and they're not wrong. You could do a lot with that on its own, to add to the creep factor of the whole costume. Kudos to you, mask designer, whoeever you are. And the little devil horns are just the perfect touch, honestly. The best thing about this mask is how absolutely unevil it is. It just looks like a guy with a bad skin complexion and some devil horns. It isn't outright a monster, but those monster features make the normalness of the whole thing all the more unnerving than it would be.  They even gave the guy normal looking human ears to add to the confusion of what the hell this thing is supposed to be.

This Elvis looking mother fucker even comes two for the price of one on the eBay listing I found, which means it's all the easier to start your own Johnny Horns gang in Rubbertown!

I love masks that are monstrous, don't get me wrong. Really out there, really bizarre, really expertly crafted to look like a creature from another world. That being said, I also love masks that really just take a seemingly plain face and then add really monstrous features to it to make it very uncanny valley, and this is probably one of my favorite examples in recent memory. The design on his skin, the pompadour, and the tiny tiny horns. Have I mentioned how much I actually love the size of the horns? They're just there, they aren't the focal point, and I think that's a brilliant decision. They're quite obviously the most demonic part of the mask, the part that's supposed to really tell you that something isn't quite normal here, and yet they made it very subtle. It's genius design.

Johnny Horns, overall, is a decent fellow with a great face and a love for his momma's homemade soup. I kind of wish we saw these sorts of masks more often, if I'm being honest. Like I said, not that I don't love outright monstrous designs, but I do feel like this sort of underplayed low key design concept is far too often ignored in favor of being loud and in your face, design wise, and that's a shame because when done right, anything works. So here's to hoping I run into some more masks like Johnny Horns in the future, and here's to hoping that he won't break my knees if I say I like them better than his.

I kinda need my knees, Johnny.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dr. Latexstein & His Rubber Brain Of Doom

Why does every single mad scientist look the same? Why's there no variety in this field? Dr. Robotnik, Professor Farnsworth, Dr. Horrible, Professor Membrane, you name a mad scientist and immediately an image is conjured in your head, right? Specifically the goggles. They ALL have these goggles. What is it about these goggles? Where did this trope come from, because I, for the life of me, cannot figure it out. Needless to say, that's what we're dealing with today. And, as with most mad scientists, this guy is one ugly son of a bitch. That's another problem isn't it? They're all typically very unattractive. Big bushy mustaches, enormous noses, their brains popping out of their fluff of electrified hair. Oh wait, that's just Dr. Latexsten here. Yeah, you might be surprised to learn that - especially since you can't see it in the main photo for this post - you can actually see his brain. Wanna see his brain? It's pretty cool. Who doesn't wanna see a

Over The Marrow & Through The Blood

Kids! Get your masks on! We're almost at Grandmas! You know, it surprises me just how many different monster designs have been created over the years, and I think it says something about the elasticity of what a "monster" can be that there's been so many unique takes on the concept. For instance, a monster can be a fully black mass with white hot glowing eyes, or a monster could be a tall creature with elongated limbs and sharp teeth that glint in the moonlight, or a monster can be a girl you take out multiple times who in the end ghosts you because despite saying she was looking for love what she was actually looking for was to make herself feel better at the expense of someone else (LAUREN), but no matter what your definition of a monster may be, one thing is certain: there will always be a new version of a monster. But so rarely do we get a monster that looks more like it's going to bake you cookies and tell you stories about the old days than actually do you h

Gerald Bojangles & His Boneyard Jamboree

Really kinda slept on this way this Halloween, didn't I? Missed the train, I did. Ah well. Here we are now, so put your skinless hands together for good ol' Mr. Gerald Bojangles & His Boneyard Jamboree! This is a Ben Cooper style mask (I don't think it's made by Cooper himself, but don't quote me on that), and, honestly, it makes me so happy. Gerald Bojangles just looks so goddamned happy doesn't he? So utterly thrilled to be here with you, in pure skeletal format, so he can play you the organ without his organs. He just looks so very jovial, doesn't he? I mean, he's got a big grin on his face, and an absolutely adorable tiny bowler cap, which just screams "I'm fun!" He looks like the leader of a big swing band in a jazz club, and I'm all for it. I also like the thick black outline that encompasses his entirety, almost like he's ripped straight out of the pages of a comic book. And I would be remiss if I didn't mention the c