Skip to main content

Frankenstoned

Look, sometimes a title is too good to pass up, okay? Sometimes you just have to do something for the joke. And the moment I saw this high-ass Frankenstein's Monster, I knew that was what I was going to do. I'm nothing if not willing to commit to bits. This isn't the first Frankenstein's Monster type mask to wind up on this blog, but it's definitely the one that most fits the criteria of what a Frankenstein's Monster should be or is what we would easily recognize as one. But, just because he fits neatly into a little easily categorized box doesn't mean he's not worth talking about! I mean, just look at him, he's well sculpted, well colored and high as fuck dude.

Seriously though, the colors and sculpting on this thing are tremendous. The wrinkles, the various linework, the little pimples, the faded bloody scar over his lips and the smear of blood along his scalp, his smokey eyes with that bright yellow color, all matched with that tinted green/grey mixture and the black hair? Perfection to say the least. Whoever made this fellow really knew what they were doing. But the eyes, honestly, it's all about the eyes. The eyes are - not to be cute - the focal point of this design. The colors pop, sure, but it's really the insinuation that I appreciate. This creature has smoked one too many joints, man.

I have a confession to make...despite being a girl who's been lifelong obsessed with spooky shit, monsters especially, Frankenstein's Monster just never really did much for me personally. I've always been more a fan of Creature From The Black Lagoon and was getting books out on Cryptids from the library in middle school, back in 2002, well before the internet decided they were the hottest thing around. That being said, I can still appreciate artistry when I see it, even if it's for something I'm not all that invested in myself, and there's certainly plenty of artistry on display here to appreciate when it comes to Frankenstoned.

The wrinkles are exceptionally done and look very real, but the thing I personally like the most has to be the bloody stitch running across his face and down the side of his neck. It's a neat little physical addition that really gives it its own unique personality generally unseen in other Frankenstein's Monster variants. That addition of red scarring on the greyish green overall coloring is a really nice offset, and counter one another very well. Coloration is something that a lot of people don't take into consideration, and for a lot of things it isn't important, but for some it really is, and these masks are a perfect example of how necessary the correct coloring and correct color combinations make a huge difference.

If I have any complaints of gripes about this mask, it's that I think the neck bolts aren't pronounced nearly enough. I mean, that's Frankenstein's Monsters sole defining visual characteristic, and they downplayed it? That's a mistake, my guy. If anything, they shouldn't made them bigger than usual, more gaudy, more comical, if only to go along with the goofiness of the overall mask design to begin with.

But, that's, as I said, the only real negative thing I can say, because otherwise this mask is top tier stuff. Frankenstoned is an excellent version of the classic creature, plus you can be high as hell while wearing it and everyone won't know, they'll just think the mask is a joke, even though it's right in plain sight. That's a win win, isn't it? I say this, for the record, as someone who doesn't smoke, has never smoked and has no interest in smoking, but I figured I'd put it out there for anyone who might enjoy a joint or two on Halloween night to spruce up the spookiness.

Just make sure you don't actually think you're Frankenstein's Monster and get scared by the lighter when you try to toke up.

Then you'll really cause a scene.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dr. Latexstein & His Rubber Brain Of Doom

Why does every single mad scientist look the same? Why's there no variety in this field? Dr. Robotnik, Professor Farnsworth, Dr. Horrible, Professor Membrane, you name a mad scientist and immediately an image is conjured in your head, right? Specifically the goggles. They ALL have these goggles. What is it about these goggles? Where did this trope come from, because I, for the life of me, cannot figure it out. Needless to say, that's what we're dealing with today. And, as with most mad scientists, this guy is one ugly son of a bitch. That's another problem isn't it? They're all typically very unattractive. Big bushy mustaches, enormous noses, their brains popping out of their fluff of electrified hair. Oh wait, that's just Dr. Latexsten here. Yeah, you might be surprised to learn that - especially since you can't see it in the main photo for this post - you can actually see his brain. Wanna see his brain? It's pretty cool. Who doesn't wanna see a

Over The Marrow & Through The Blood

Kids! Get your masks on! We're almost at Grandmas! You know, it surprises me just how many different monster designs have been created over the years, and I think it says something about the elasticity of what a "monster" can be that there's been so many unique takes on the concept. For instance, a monster can be a fully black mass with white hot glowing eyes, or a monster could be a tall creature with elongated limbs and sharp teeth that glint in the moonlight, or a monster can be a girl you take out multiple times who in the end ghosts you because despite saying she was looking for love what she was actually looking for was to make herself feel better at the expense of someone else (LAUREN), but no matter what your definition of a monster may be, one thing is certain: there will always be a new version of a monster. But so rarely do we get a monster that looks more like it's going to bake you cookies and tell you stories about the old days than actually do you h

Gerald Bojangles & His Boneyard Jamboree

Really kinda slept on this way this Halloween, didn't I? Missed the train, I did. Ah well. Here we are now, so put your skinless hands together for good ol' Mr. Gerald Bojangles & His Boneyard Jamboree! This is a Ben Cooper style mask (I don't think it's made by Cooper himself, but don't quote me on that), and, honestly, it makes me so happy. Gerald Bojangles just looks so goddamned happy doesn't he? So utterly thrilled to be here with you, in pure skeletal format, so he can play you the organ without his organs. He just looks so very jovial, doesn't he? I mean, he's got a big grin on his face, and an absolutely adorable tiny bowler cap, which just screams "I'm fun!" He looks like the leader of a big swing band in a jazz club, and I'm all for it. I also like the thick black outline that encompasses his entirety, almost like he's ripped straight out of the pages of a comic book. And I would be remiss if I didn't mention the c