Skip to main content

Vintage Mask Roundup #2

So here we are, back again with the second edition of Vintage Mask Roundup. This time around we have some photos that are relatively not as "vintage" as the first roundup, meaning they're from a lot more recent times, like the 80s or 90s. Still, by todays standards, 2020, that's pretty fucking vintage, so you can't really argue with me. Anyway, first up is what I've titled "Sex Offenders Basement Bar". Seriously though, this is a spooky picture overall. The whole aesthetic of the bar mixed with the brick wall, the wooden ceiling and pipe and the word "BOO" just written in, what I can only assume is the dust of a childs crushed bones, everything about this picture makes me pretty uncomfortable. Not mention that the costume this guy has, it's just a weird wacky witch mask but he's wearing like Lumberjack Business Casual with it. Then he's got those weird elongated glove hands to cap it all off, and, honestly, I feel like now that this photo has seen my home through the computer screen, I have to move before it decides to find and kill me.
Next is quite possibly my personal favorite of the bunch, what I've entitled "Drama Dog". This picture is just beautiful, man. That overly dramatic pose from that little girl, the look of utter disdain from her (presumably) brother, the coffee table with the cool ass cast iron legs and the weird floral print couch. The sepia tone that covers it all in a coffee ground-esque color. Yes, this is perfection. Not to mention those dog masks are downright unnerving. They appear to be made of plastic, and the boys looks almost like Pluto from Disney for some reason. They also don't have costumes to go with them, they just have the masks, which begs all the more why they're wearing just these masks. Was this even taken at Halloween or is this just how these kids act on a day to day basis? Lots of questions, not a whole lotta answers. Exactly how I like it. Vague and mysterious.
Next up is what we're gonna call FRANKENBABY. Honestly, this is a work of art as well. It's nothing super unusual, it's just a Frankensteins Monster mask, but the fact that someone put this on their little infant girl and the fact that it looks like it was taken in the 50s adds all sorts of mystique and spookiness to it that I love. I also love that she's coming towards the camera, reaching out for (I'm assuming the person taking this photo is one of her parents) her guardian. The crooked telephone poles, the old run down fence, the eerie lady in the back shielding her face from the suns harmful rays. This is magnificent. Also that mask is pretty solid, not gonna lie. For when this photo is probably from, that's a good piece of mask work.

So what can really be said about this one? This is one I actually chose not to include in the first roundup, because I didn't really know what to say about it, and even now, I STILL am unsure of exactly what to say about it. You have a girl who seems to be wearing a paper bag on her head with pumpkins over the eyes, and then you have, who I'm assuming is her pumpkin master beside her, the other girl with the whole ass pumpkin over her head. Honestly, I really relate to pumpkinhead girl here. This is something I would've done as a little girl myself. Man, kids in the 50s and 60s had to be creative as shit when it came to Halloween, and I appreciate them for it. I don't know what kind of magical monster voodoo she's attempting here, making this other poor child her pumpkin slave, or if this is just the start of her pumpkin child army, but I am living for it. This is fantastic.
Believe me when I say it took A LOT of effort not to make this one the first picture we looked at. This is an oddity because it's not exactly a "mask" exactly, since they're just ski masks, but I just love everything about it. I love that it's from what I'm assuming is the 70s and that it's shot in such a way that it looks almost like a romantic image one would have on their nightstand. These two female robbers just had to have their love captured on film before heading off to steal from as many banks as they could. The listing on eBay also states that this is being sold from Latvia, which only adds even more of a "what the fuck" factor to the whole thing. So yeah, while this isn't normally the sort of mask I would use in something, it was just too goddamn funny to pass up. Look at this. It's framed like it belongs in a fashion catalogue of the years hottest trends for the winter. With a goofy title like "The Hottest Trends for the Coldest Season!"

Love it. Absolutely love it.

So yeah, that's another 5 masks for "vintage mask roundup". I'm hoping to start doing these more regularly, cause I kinda forgot that the last time I did this was back when the blog first started. You can read the first post right here if you so desire. See you next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dr. Latexstein & His Rubber Brain Of Doom

Why does every single mad scientist look the same? Why's there no variety in this field? Dr. Robotnik, Professor Farnsworth, Dr. Horrible, Professor Membrane, you name a mad scientist and immediately an image is conjured in your head, right? Specifically the goggles. They ALL have these goggles. What is it about these goggles? Where did this trope come from, because I, for the life of me, cannot figure it out. Needless to say, that's what we're dealing with today. And, as with most mad scientists, this guy is one ugly son of a bitch. That's another problem isn't it? They're all typically very unattractive. Big bushy mustaches, enormous noses, their brains popping out of their fluff of electrified hair. Oh wait, that's just Dr. Latexsten here. Yeah, you might be surprised to learn that - especially since you can't see it in the main photo for this post - you can actually see his brain. Wanna see his brain? It's pretty cool. Who doesn't wanna see a

Over The Marrow & Through The Blood

Kids! Get your masks on! We're almost at Grandmas! You know, it surprises me just how many different monster designs have been created over the years, and I think it says something about the elasticity of what a "monster" can be that there's been so many unique takes on the concept. For instance, a monster can be a fully black mass with white hot glowing eyes, or a monster could be a tall creature with elongated limbs and sharp teeth that glint in the moonlight, or a monster can be a girl you take out multiple times who in the end ghosts you because despite saying she was looking for love what she was actually looking for was to make herself feel better at the expense of someone else (LAUREN), but no matter what your definition of a monster may be, one thing is certain: there will always be a new version of a monster. But so rarely do we get a monster that looks more like it's going to bake you cookies and tell you stories about the old days than actually do you h

Gerald Bojangles & His Boneyard Jamboree

Really kinda slept on this way this Halloween, didn't I? Missed the train, I did. Ah well. Here we are now, so put your skinless hands together for good ol' Mr. Gerald Bojangles & His Boneyard Jamboree! This is a Ben Cooper style mask (I don't think it's made by Cooper himself, but don't quote me on that), and, honestly, it makes me so happy. Gerald Bojangles just looks so goddamned happy doesn't he? So utterly thrilled to be here with you, in pure skeletal format, so he can play you the organ without his organs. He just looks so very jovial, doesn't he? I mean, he's got a big grin on his face, and an absolutely adorable tiny bowler cap, which just screams "I'm fun!" He looks like the leader of a big swing band in a jazz club, and I'm all for it. I also like the thick black outline that encompasses his entirety, almost like he's ripped straight out of the pages of a comic book. And I would be remiss if I didn't mention the c