Skip to main content

Glaxnar, The All Seeing Eye

 
 
Glory to Glaxnar.

If there's something floating somewhere in the ethereal boundless openness that is space, it's probably Glaxnar The Great All Seeing Eye. And I don't just say that because of the expertly well placed nebula background the seller used for these photos. I say that because Glaxnar really does just look like something one would encounter if the furthest reaches of space. Something similar to ourselves, yet so different that we can't fathom what he is, precisely, and thusly he terrifies us to our very core. I've covered one or two other cyclops masks on this blog, but I'm not gonna lie, Glaxnar is by far the single greatest cyclops design I've ever seen, mask form or otherwise. I love the Frankensteinesque appearance he's got of having been sewn back together to complete a face. A face, however, that seems to be missing all its other vital faceisms and is now only home to that of a giant, bulging eyeball. Perfection, quite frankly.

The stitches, matched with the little split at the top where you can see Glaxnar's fleshy understuff popping out somewhat, is a wonderful combination. The red of his...everything else...mixed with the flesh tones are a really excellent idea, and was impeccably done. I love the gruesome veiny surrounding his eye is home to, giving all the more of a netherworld feel. Something that can only exist somewhere outside time and space. And you can see spots that might be new emerging eyes, which is exciting! A head that's just full of eyes and stitches? What more could a lady ask for, really. The wrinkles and the molding are all fine, despite the fact that none of it really looks all that natural. Then again, it IS a giant singular eye head with stitches in it, so perhaps wanting realism was sort of out of the question from the get go, was it not?

My only problem with Glaxnar's design is that it's a half mask. It's not a full head mask. Meaning it's only got the front side, and then a string that goes over your head, it's not a full latex mask like most of the masks I cover here. And this revelation cost them me purchasing it, because I had the eBay page open for a long while on the final day of the auction debating if I should add him to my own personal collection, that's how much I loved him, but upon seeing that he was a half mask, it quickly turned me off of the idea.

And maybe he was made that way because it's cheaper, I really don't know, but I do know that it's a huge detriment to an otherwise perfect design. I think to really, full appreciate the glory of Glaxnar, we'd need him to be a full headed latex/rubber mask. Alas, he was cheapened to that of a drug store half mask, and we shall never know his full, intended glory. But we can dream! Oh, we can dream. Still, despite this issue, I maintain my unwavering belief that Glaxnar is hands down the single best cycloptic creation I've ever personally happened upon. I don't know if cycloptic is a word, but I just made it one, so there. He's just so very perfect in every single way (barring the half mask aspect), that I can't not love him, even in lights of his faults, none of which are really his own so I can't hold them against him. I also love his little beauty marks, because you know what, he is beautiful. Glaxnar is power, Glaxnar is grace, Glaxnar has one eye in the center of his face. But Glaxnar, more than anything else, also represents a modern take on an all time classic, and frankly I think they knocked it out of the park. He almost looks as if he wasn't born a cyclops, but made into a cyclops, what with the stitching and whatnot. Frankenclops or something. That actually sounds more like a frankenstein horse than a frankenstein cyclops, but I'm not against that either. I think there's plenty of potential for a resurrected zombie horse.

Overall, Glaxnar really nails that ethereal, otherworldly look I crave in a mask. Something that not only looks monstrous, but also so monstrous that it doesn't even look remotely of our universe. Something that looks like it came from galaxies beyond ours, with knowledge we cannot even begin to comprehend. Glaxnar is the one true god. Glaxnar will lead us to salvation. For to truly know Glaxnar is to look into the wrinkles that look into us, and to ask the question, "Am I worthy? AM I?"

And then upping my medication dose because boy howdy I have gone off the crazy train.

Seriously though, I love Glaxnar. I love whoever conceived of him, I love whoever designed him, and I appreciate whoever distributed him, because he's one glorious singular eyed son of a bitch. And when he does come through that wormhole to overtake our universe and lead us into the new world order, I for one will bow to his hideously beautiful glory. Because to believe in Glaxnar is to believe in love. I honestly wish we got more unique and well designed cyclops masks. That's the one thing that bums me out about him, is that he makes me wish we had others (though, as is stated, "thou shalt not worship any false gods" and there's no falser god than another cyclops that isn't Glaxnar). I like variety, but I wouldn't worship them the way I worship him, that's for sure. For such an old staple of horror and fantasy and whatnot, you'd imagine the market would be somewhat flooded with cyclops masks, but they're kind of a rarity, and even more so are the well designed ones, so when something like Glaxnar comes along, you better fucking worship him, because he's one in a million catch, baby.

Who knows, maybe the mask industry just didn't see a future for cyclops masks. Maybe they're blind to the possibilities the cyclops could bring to the design world. Perhaps they were simply too busy looking at other options and couldn't see view the perfection that was staring them right back in the face.

Do you...do you get it yet? I'm making sight jokes. Cause he's a cyclops.

God I'm funny.

All Hail Glaxnar.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dr. Latexstein & His Rubber Brain Of Doom

Why does every single mad scientist look the same? Why's there no variety in this field? Dr. Robotnik, Professor Farnsworth, Dr. Horrible, Professor Membrane, you name a mad scientist and immediately an image is conjured in your head, right? Specifically the goggles. They ALL have these goggles. What is it about these goggles? Where did this trope come from, because I, for the life of me, cannot figure it out. Needless to say, that's what we're dealing with today. And, as with most mad scientists, this guy is one ugly son of a bitch. That's another problem isn't it? They're all typically very unattractive. Big bushy mustaches, enormous noses, their brains popping out of their fluff of electrified hair. Oh wait, that's just Dr. Latexsten here. Yeah, you might be surprised to learn that - especially since you can't see it in the main photo for this post - you can actually see his brain. Wanna see his brain? It's pretty cool. Who doesn't wanna see a

Over The Marrow & Through The Blood

Kids! Get your masks on! We're almost at Grandmas! You know, it surprises me just how many different monster designs have been created over the years, and I think it says something about the elasticity of what a "monster" can be that there's been so many unique takes on the concept. For instance, a monster can be a fully black mass with white hot glowing eyes, or a monster could be a tall creature with elongated limbs and sharp teeth that glint in the moonlight, or a monster can be a girl you take out multiple times who in the end ghosts you because despite saying she was looking for love what she was actually looking for was to make herself feel better at the expense of someone else (LAUREN), but no matter what your definition of a monster may be, one thing is certain: there will always be a new version of a monster. But so rarely do we get a monster that looks more like it's going to bake you cookies and tell you stories about the old days than actually do you h

Gerald Bojangles & His Boneyard Jamboree

Really kinda slept on this way this Halloween, didn't I? Missed the train, I did. Ah well. Here we are now, so put your skinless hands together for good ol' Mr. Gerald Bojangles & His Boneyard Jamboree! This is a Ben Cooper style mask (I don't think it's made by Cooper himself, but don't quote me on that), and, honestly, it makes me so happy. Gerald Bojangles just looks so goddamned happy doesn't he? So utterly thrilled to be here with you, in pure skeletal format, so he can play you the organ without his organs. He just looks so very jovial, doesn't he? I mean, he's got a big grin on his face, and an absolutely adorable tiny bowler cap, which just screams "I'm fun!" He looks like the leader of a big swing band in a jazz club, and I'm all for it. I also like the thick black outline that encompasses his entirety, almost like he's ripped straight out of the pages of a comic book. And I would be remiss if I didn't mention the c