Skip to main content

It Takes A Mask To Raise A Child




When I was a little girl growing up, my mother collected records. One of her favorite artists was Todd Rundgren, and for many many years, his album "Acappella" was framed and hanging on the wall of our apartment living room. A lot of other children might have seen this and felt perturbed by it, but I was a strange little girl who collected dead animals and couldn't do math to save her life. I was drawn to this imagery, for reasons that, now, make absolute perfect sense. In many ways, this was the first mask I ever really was capable of appreciating as a piece of art.

Lots of countries use masks. Whether they're decorative or they're used in actual ceremonies, they're a big part of certain cultures. Thanks to the website History Of Masks, I was able to ascertain that masks in West Africa are used in ceremonies in which the purpose is to communicate with ancestral spirits. In fact, Africa likely utilizes masks to the upmost extent out of everyone in the world. Some are made as animals, to communicate with animal spirits while others are made with closed eyes so as to symbolize tranquility, while a bulging forehead masks represents wisdom. There's even war masks. Africa really gives the rest of the world a run for their money when it comes to mask usage. Hell, one of the first posts on this blog was about death masks in particular.

But this mask in particular, the one good ol' Todd boy here is using is the most iconic mask to me. It looks, I wanna say, related to something either middle eastern (somewhere like India or something, but I could be totally wrong, it could be more Asian in its descent, what do I know, I'm just some dumbass white girl who sucks at geography). Seeing this thing every single day, it sort of created a love for creativity and art in ways that not many other things did when I was growing up. I have a lot of issues with my parents, with my childhood, but I will give them one thing; I grew up in a very cultured environment, which meant being immersed in art at all times. Whether it's going to museums, seeing broadway shows or what have you, I recognize that, despite all the terrible things I'm still trying to recover from thanks to my upbringing, I was very lucky in that regard.

The extremely amusing thing about this, however, is that the album, and artist too, have no other real impact on me whatsoever. The album is whatever, there's nothing really about the cover of it that I can find, and I am only a mild Todd Rundgren fan at best. The album came out in 1985, a mere 4 years before I was born, and there's no other mask adjacent things regarding the album outside of its bizarre cover art.

So really, it's just an album art that I grew up around and was very inspired by for many different reasons. Life is strange, you never know the kinds of things that you might become attached to. Who knows, without this album art, maybe I don't find some weird love for masks that ultimately leads me to start this blog, for better or worse I suppose. I just think it's very likely this album cover had a hand in my interest in masks, and strange art in general, since I grew up seeing it every single day. There's something about, obviously, the mask design itself but even beyond that; the colors of the mask and the background meshing together so well and the fact that Todd chose to wear just black is a perfect addition, something solid and dark against that moderate tangerine backdrop to play off of. There's something oddly cozy about the entire thing, and I love it with all my heart.

If my mother leaves me with nothing else once she dies, besides unresolved trauma and a financially viable way to survive off of it, I hope it's this, because this I would treasure for the rest of my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dr. Latexstein & His Rubber Brain Of Doom

Why does every single mad scientist look the same? Why's there no variety in this field? Dr. Robotnik, Professor Farnsworth, Dr. Horrible, Professor Membrane, you name a mad scientist and immediately an image is conjured in your head, right? Specifically the goggles. They ALL have these goggles. What is it about these goggles? Where did this trope come from, because I, for the life of me, cannot figure it out. Needless to say, that's what we're dealing with today. And, as with most mad scientists, this guy is one ugly son of a bitch. That's another problem isn't it? They're all typically very unattractive. Big bushy mustaches, enormous noses, their brains popping out of their fluff of electrified hair. Oh wait, that's just Dr. Latexsten here. Yeah, you might be surprised to learn that - especially since you can't see it in the main photo for this post - you can actually see his brain. Wanna see his brain? It's pretty cool. Who doesn't wanna see a

Over The Marrow & Through The Blood

Kids! Get your masks on! We're almost at Grandmas! You know, it surprises me just how many different monster designs have been created over the years, and I think it says something about the elasticity of what a "monster" can be that there's been so many unique takes on the concept. For instance, a monster can be a fully black mass with white hot glowing eyes, or a monster could be a tall creature with elongated limbs and sharp teeth that glint in the moonlight, or a monster can be a girl you take out multiple times who in the end ghosts you because despite saying she was looking for love what she was actually looking for was to make herself feel better at the expense of someone else (LAUREN), but no matter what your definition of a monster may be, one thing is certain: there will always be a new version of a monster. But so rarely do we get a monster that looks more like it's going to bake you cookies and tell you stories about the old days than actually do you h

Gerald Bojangles & His Boneyard Jamboree

Really kinda slept on this way this Halloween, didn't I? Missed the train, I did. Ah well. Here we are now, so put your skinless hands together for good ol' Mr. Gerald Bojangles & His Boneyard Jamboree! This is a Ben Cooper style mask (I don't think it's made by Cooper himself, but don't quote me on that), and, honestly, it makes me so happy. Gerald Bojangles just looks so goddamned happy doesn't he? So utterly thrilled to be here with you, in pure skeletal format, so he can play you the organ without his organs. He just looks so very jovial, doesn't he? I mean, he's got a big grin on his face, and an absolutely adorable tiny bowler cap, which just screams "I'm fun!" He looks like the leader of a big swing band in a jazz club, and I'm all for it. I also like the thick black outline that encompasses his entirety, almost like he's ripped straight out of the pages of a comic book. And I would be remiss if I didn't mention the c