Skip to main content

Ack! Tongue, Baby




There's something absolutely cartoonish about this guy. Almost like a character right out of Tex Avery. Maybe it's the awesome green swirls in his eyes or the tongue hanging out, or the gigantic teeth, but whatever it is (or maybe it's a combination of all three), he's so wonderfully comic that he had to be discussed here. First of all, the molding on this is absolutely phenomenal, like, leagues above any other mask I've ever covered. This thing looks like a cartoon character come to life, it's that good. The way his eye ridges extend over the top of his irises and the way there's that sag underneath, like he's got permanent bags is just fantastic. The nose is wonderfully done too, such a strange yet original shape and I love the little freckles on it. And of course the jaw. Oh the jaw.

This is what I'd imagine Bigfoot might look like if he just saw a really attractive lady Bigfoot.

But what I really like best about him is that he doesn't really fit into any specific genre. See, a lot of the masks I cover on this blog are based on some sort of pre-existing concept. A fish, a ghoul, an alien, or a monster of some kind that already was created (like Count Howlula) but this thing? This thing is just wholly new. It could be a werewolf drunk out of his gourd, if this is how you'd like to view werewolves. There's no defining characteristic that's pigeonholing him into one specific group, and that's what's truly great about him. Also the enormous amount of hair is a plus.

This is also a good example of the #1 thing missing from most masks made today. FUN. Just straight up fun. I've talked before about how everything now is simply based on IP that's already been around, it's all characters from movies and stuff, but it isn't even about that really. If you've been in any Spirit Halloween Store in the last 5 years you'll recognize that, while they admittedly have some pretty tight stuff, none of it compares to something of this caliber. Dizzy Bigfoot here is head and shoulders (and feet I guess) above the rest. Yes, you can find some really neat stuff at a Spirit store, but they all still ultimately lack the fun that's represented by my boi here. And that's because everyone decided, at some point, that everything marginally related to Halloween could no longer be fun or cute or goofy. It had to be utterly violent and disgusting.

And I like violence and disgusting things as much as the next lady, but I would be lying if I didn't say how much I missed the concept of Fun Halloween. Halloween where you could mash up things and go as something totally original and nonsensical, or Halloween where your decorations gave off a vibe that could rival that of Disneyland's The Haunted Mansion. You know that I'm talking about, right? The classic film "Hocus Pocus" is a perfect example of Fun Halloween.

Now everything is about extreme haunts and brooding atmosphere and that's all good too, I'm a fan of horror no matter what the tone is, but I certainly miss when Halloween was more about having a good time than simply being scared out of your gourd by a man pretending to rev actual chainsaw in your gut in a tightly enclosed hallway of someones rented out dilapidated warehouse. That's what I think, really, deep down, this mask makes me long for. Fun Halloween. Monster Mash Halloween. A Halloween where you could be something as ridiculous as The Tooth Fairy, but her costume is literally covered in human teeth and she's still bubbly and fun despite it. Hell, that's actually a great costume idea, I may do that myself this year. I swear I'm gonna do that, okay. Nobody else take that please. I'll even have a photoshoot and post them here.

The colors on him are even perfect, man. The paleness of his face mixed with that bright red tongue and the wonderful shade of green they used for the eyes. All of that mashed together with the black hair is just perfection upon perfection. If I could wear this thing every single day everywhere I would. In fact, I likely could, given what's going on in the world right now. They want us to cover our faces, right? What better way to do that, and have it be socially acceptable to boot, than by simply wearing a goddamned Halloween mask all over the place every day? It's an awesome time to be alive, I tell ya. Dizzy Bigfoot is hands down in the top 5 of mask designs I've covered here, easily, and for good reason. I wish I could shake Dizzy Bigfoots hand (I wouldn't shake his feet, obviously, I'm not a fuckin' weirdo) and thank him for existing in a world where everyone says fun is dead and buried. Where we decided to take fun out behind the shed and put 'em down. We need a world with Dizzy Bigfoot. We need a world with fun, specifically Fun Halloween.

God bless you, Dizzy Bigfoot. And god bless Fun Halloween.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dr. Latexstein & His Rubber Brain Of Doom

Why does every single mad scientist look the same? Why's there no variety in this field? Dr. Robotnik, Professor Farnsworth, Dr. Horrible, Professor Membrane, you name a mad scientist and immediately an image is conjured in your head, right? Specifically the goggles. They ALL have these goggles. What is it about these goggles? Where did this trope come from, because I, for the life of me, cannot figure it out. Needless to say, that's what we're dealing with today. And, as with most mad scientists, this guy is one ugly son of a bitch. That's another problem isn't it? They're all typically very unattractive. Big bushy mustaches, enormous noses, their brains popping out of their fluff of electrified hair. Oh wait, that's just Dr. Latexsten here. Yeah, you might be surprised to learn that - especially since you can't see it in the main photo for this post - you can actually see his brain. Wanna see his brain? It's pretty cool. Who doesn't wanna see a

Over The Marrow & Through The Blood

Kids! Get your masks on! We're almost at Grandmas! You know, it surprises me just how many different monster designs have been created over the years, and I think it says something about the elasticity of what a "monster" can be that there's been so many unique takes on the concept. For instance, a monster can be a fully black mass with white hot glowing eyes, or a monster could be a tall creature with elongated limbs and sharp teeth that glint in the moonlight, or a monster can be a girl you take out multiple times who in the end ghosts you because despite saying she was looking for love what she was actually looking for was to make herself feel better at the expense of someone else (LAUREN), but no matter what your definition of a monster may be, one thing is certain: there will always be a new version of a monster. But so rarely do we get a monster that looks more like it's going to bake you cookies and tell you stories about the old days than actually do you h

Gerald Bojangles & His Boneyard Jamboree

Really kinda slept on this way this Halloween, didn't I? Missed the train, I did. Ah well. Here we are now, so put your skinless hands together for good ol' Mr. Gerald Bojangles & His Boneyard Jamboree! This is a Ben Cooper style mask (I don't think it's made by Cooper himself, but don't quote me on that), and, honestly, it makes me so happy. Gerald Bojangles just looks so goddamned happy doesn't he? So utterly thrilled to be here with you, in pure skeletal format, so he can play you the organ without his organs. He just looks so very jovial, doesn't he? I mean, he's got a big grin on his face, and an absolutely adorable tiny bowler cap, which just screams "I'm fun!" He looks like the leader of a big swing band in a jazz club, and I'm all for it. I also like the thick black outline that encompasses his entirety, almost like he's ripped straight out of the pages of a comic book. And I would be remiss if I didn't mention the c