Skip to main content

This Mother Fucker

 So, we need to have a talk.

I was doing some searching on eBay for potential new masks to cover, as I usually do every few months, when I came across this sale. They're charging 26 dollars for it (19.00 plus 6.00 shipping) and this was the only singular photo attached to the listing. I checked out the seller, who seems to have fairly good reputation, and they only had a handful of other masks for sale, plus a package of lightbulbs, a sealed box of toothbrushes and oh yeah a korean spicey ramen packet. Seems like a pretty legit seller, to be honest. There's virtually no description and in fact the vague semi description that does exist is just parroting the title of the listing itself, so.

And my first reaction when I saw this image was "This gives off an evil vibe". Everything about this photo is ominous. I don't generally do posts like these, I mean, I did do Fleshless Phyllis a while back which kind of touches on the same subject, but this is...I don't know, something about this is way worse than that was. For starters there's only the one photo, and it's like something you'd find at the bottom of a shoebox buried in the fireplace of an abandoned house. You'd be doing some urban exploration, as one does, and you'd find it and get all giddy and think of all the treasures that awaited you inside this tiny box. Priceless jewelry? A handful of diamonds? Gold dubloons? Who knows, maybe pirates lived there. They can't live on boats all the time, you know. Either way you attempt to pop the lid off the sucker before quickly realizing that it's sealed. Someone has taped the lid to the top of this shoebox, and for good measure, as you'll soon discover. Once you twist that box lid off you peer inside and all that sits in the darkness in front of you is this photo, of this mask, staring right back into your soul.

That sorta vibe, you know?

So when I saw this thing, I immediately felt uneasy. First of all, just the framing of it is unsettling for some reason. The way they're facing ever so slightly towards you, their eyes staring directly at the camera through those empty mask eyeholes. On top of that, their shirt for some reason has a recycling image on it, but I guess when you're a serial killer who chops people up and then disposes limbs across multiple state lines, that might count as recycling, sure. All jabbing aside, this mask is absolutely terrifying for the same reason that people fear the Michael Meyers mask. It's...empty. There's nothing there. There's some hair, there's an eyebrow and a half, along with a huge nose and some puffy lips, but there's no real discernible personality on this thing. This could be anyone, worn by anyone. If I woke up in the middle of the night and I went into my kitchen and I saw this fucking thing staring at me from out of the dead of the evening, I'd likely ask permission to shit myself before they killed me. Hell, I might even die by shitting myself out of fear. Who knows. All I know is that this is so blank, so painfully generic that that only adds to the terror of it. Featureless is a good way to put it. I mean, there's features, the eyes the nose the lips, but none of those make it any LESS terrifying.

But what REALLY freaks me out about this mask is the hair, man. That hair looks...real. Everything about this mask, when combined, makes me feel extremely uneasy but that hair really puts the nail in the coffin. My coffin, to be exact, the one they'll bury me in when this mask fucking kills me in a dark alley somewhere. And, much as I wish I had a few other photos of this thing to work with, I'm sort of...relieved that I DON'T. I don't want to look at this thing. It's like that creature from Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark. This thing makes me deeply unnerved. I MIGHT in fact be cursed now from having seen this picture, and you might be cursed by proxy, and for that I truly am sorry.

Kudos to whatever magician of the dark arts brought this monstrosity to life, because it's hands down the creepiest thing I've covered, and the photo does it damn good justice.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go barricade myself into a room made of steel with an unlocking door and eighteen shotguns so this thing can never, ever get to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dr. Latexstein & His Rubber Brain Of Doom

Why does every single mad scientist look the same? Why's there no variety in this field? Dr. Robotnik, Professor Farnsworth, Dr. Horrible, Professor Membrane, you name a mad scientist and immediately an image is conjured in your head, right? Specifically the goggles. They ALL have these goggles. What is it about these goggles? Where did this trope come from, because I, for the life of me, cannot figure it out. Needless to say, that's what we're dealing with today. And, as with most mad scientists, this guy is one ugly son of a bitch. That's another problem isn't it? They're all typically very unattractive. Big bushy mustaches, enormous noses, their brains popping out of their fluff of electrified hair. Oh wait, that's just Dr. Latexsten here. Yeah, you might be surprised to learn that - especially since you can't see it in the main photo for this post - you can actually see his brain. Wanna see his brain? It's pretty cool. Who doesn't wanna see a

Over The Marrow & Through The Blood

Kids! Get your masks on! We're almost at Grandmas! You know, it surprises me just how many different monster designs have been created over the years, and I think it says something about the elasticity of what a "monster" can be that there's been so many unique takes on the concept. For instance, a monster can be a fully black mass with white hot glowing eyes, or a monster could be a tall creature with elongated limbs and sharp teeth that glint in the moonlight, or a monster can be a girl you take out multiple times who in the end ghosts you because despite saying she was looking for love what she was actually looking for was to make herself feel better at the expense of someone else (LAUREN), but no matter what your definition of a monster may be, one thing is certain: there will always be a new version of a monster. But so rarely do we get a monster that looks more like it's going to bake you cookies and tell you stories about the old days than actually do you h

Gerald Bojangles & His Boneyard Jamboree

Really kinda slept on this way this Halloween, didn't I? Missed the train, I did. Ah well. Here we are now, so put your skinless hands together for good ol' Mr. Gerald Bojangles & His Boneyard Jamboree! This is a Ben Cooper style mask (I don't think it's made by Cooper himself, but don't quote me on that), and, honestly, it makes me so happy. Gerald Bojangles just looks so goddamned happy doesn't he? So utterly thrilled to be here with you, in pure skeletal format, so he can play you the organ without his organs. He just looks so very jovial, doesn't he? I mean, he's got a big grin on his face, and an absolutely adorable tiny bowler cap, which just screams "I'm fun!" He looks like the leader of a big swing band in a jazz club, and I'm all for it. I also like the thick black outline that encompasses his entirety, almost like he's ripped straight out of the pages of a comic book. And I would be remiss if I didn't mention the c