Skip to main content

The Shape Of Grubby


Before Doug Jones made it cool to want to openly fuck humanoid fish people, fishophiles had to live in fear, secluded to their hollywood homes, their careers stalled while they continued shutting down rumors of their love of the animals dwelling in the sea. It's okay Troy McClure, we still love you. But now that it's apparently totally fine to say you want to sleep with The Creature From The Black Lagoon, let's explore that a bit more with this fine mask, whom I'm named Grubby. He just looks like a Grubby, you know?

This is actually a fairly decently made mask, upon first glance. The scales on the throat, that wild eye design mixed with a weirdly out of place and yet acceptable human nose, along with the tiny barnacles growing on his head and the wild Bozo The Clown hair, this thing's got it goin' on. And I don't mean that in a sexual way. I am not one of the women who wants to fuck fish creatures. I'm more of a lesbian werewolf kind of person. Either way, Grubby exists, and he exists in that great era of "what the fuck is that thing" when it comes to masks. It's not really a human, despite it's human characteristics, but it's not fully fish despite its fish characteristics. It's like a human/fish hybrid from space, and I for one am absolutely here for this. This is the kind of stuff masks should be striving to be.

Hell, even the coloring on Grubby is fantastic. The red hair mixes with the teal and then deeper blues of the rubber, and that red onion purple on those eyelids is wicked (and the eyelids themselves are a pretty nice touch, come to think of it!) and the tan in the middle of the face isn't so out of place that it throws the whole thing off kilter. No, Grubby is well made, well designed, and an all around pleasure to look at and discuss. I really have genuinely no mean things to say about Grubby. He's a masterpiece, through and through, If anything, my only complaint would be the same one I've used before, in that we no longer get masks like Grubby.

And those EYES. Those eyes apparently light up! Just as mine do when I see his sweet little fish face. Grubby is the face of those who wish to be accepted even in light of all their differences. Grubby is all of us, really. He represents the human condition, despite not being human, of simply wanting to be accepted even in the face of their physical differences to our own. Now, I am by no means equating a fucking rubber fish alien mask with something like minority groups fights for acceptance and equality. I'm a queer woman, I'm autistic, I'm rather physically handicapped, and while I'm not black, I do want it recognized that this is a joke blog for the most part, and that our fights for simply being as other fucking human beings is not the same as this. I'm just trying to be funny. So before you "cancel" me or whatever, just let that be known.

But really, Grubby looks friendly, and he looks like he would want to be accepted like anyone else, and isn't that just what everyone wants, you know? Especially those of us who are different? We just want everyone else to accept us for who we are instead of taking one look at us and then basing their entire opinion on that ridiculous stereotyped generalization. "You wanna come to the Human party? You're not even human! Go back to the lake you flopped out of, you fish fuck!" Grubby shouldn't suffer at the hands of anyone who would want to hurt other people simply for being different. Also, this is not pro fish. This is pro Grubby. I love animals and all, sure, but I'm by no means saying that a Salmon has the same value as I do. A salmon didn't write and design this blog, alright? Should we be mean to animals? Of course not! But I'm still going to eat them, because I'm a meat eater, end of story, and you'll be happy to know, much like Grubby will be too, that I don't even like fish as a food, so they're safe.

...where the hell was I going with this? Oh, right, designs and shit. This is such a well made mask, and I love it. As with most masks on this blog, I found these photos on Ebay and as such have no information on the maker of it, so sadly we cannot know where it hails from, but whoever it was that worked on it did just the absolute best job, and it's the best kind of best too because it's good for everyone. It's not too gruesome for children, and it's not overtly adult for your weird Halloween sex orgies, no, it's just Grubby. A human/fish alien who wants to be the light of our eyes. And you know what? He's already achieved that in my heart. I love you, Grubby.

I wish I had the money to buy every single mask I feature on this blog, because I hate the idea of something like Grubby, or The Lovely Terror or Jawesome or Braniac Suckerface just stuffed into a plastic create (and that's being hopeful, that they're protected) in someones basement somewhere, not being celebrated and used and seen for the works of art that they really are. It makes me so sad. Almost as sad as minority groups being treated like shit and having to fight to be treated like real living people. Wherever you are, Grubby, I hope you're safe and well taken care of. I hope they understand you. I hope they love you.

When I started this blog, I didn't expect it to become as positive as it has been, in terms of my feelings towards these masks, but I'm glad that that's the way it's gone, because I need it. I need this positivity, this happiness, this love.

Because there's too much hate in this world as it is.

I love you Grubby, and to anyone out there who feels like they're stuck under the heterosexual, cisgender, eternally white majority, I love you too. Hopefully the rest of the world stops wearing masks, and starts facing us as the great people we are, because we deserve it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dr. Latexstein & His Rubber Brain Of Doom

Why does every single mad scientist look the same? Why's there no variety in this field? Dr. Robotnik, Professor Farnsworth, Dr. Horrible, Professor Membrane, you name a mad scientist and immediately an image is conjured in your head, right? Specifically the goggles. They ALL have these goggles. What is it about these goggles? Where did this trope come from, because I, for the life of me, cannot figure it out. Needless to say, that's what we're dealing with today. And, as with most mad scientists, this guy is one ugly son of a bitch. That's another problem isn't it? They're all typically very unattractive. Big bushy mustaches, enormous noses, their brains popping out of their fluff of electrified hair. Oh wait, that's just Dr. Latexsten here. Yeah, you might be surprised to learn that - especially since you can't see it in the main photo for this post - you can actually see his brain. Wanna see his brain? It's pretty cool. Who doesn't wanna see a

Over The Marrow & Through The Blood

Kids! Get your masks on! We're almost at Grandmas! You know, it surprises me just how many different monster designs have been created over the years, and I think it says something about the elasticity of what a "monster" can be that there's been so many unique takes on the concept. For instance, a monster can be a fully black mass with white hot glowing eyes, or a monster could be a tall creature with elongated limbs and sharp teeth that glint in the moonlight, or a monster can be a girl you take out multiple times who in the end ghosts you because despite saying she was looking for love what she was actually looking for was to make herself feel better at the expense of someone else (LAUREN), but no matter what your definition of a monster may be, one thing is certain: there will always be a new version of a monster. But so rarely do we get a monster that looks more like it's going to bake you cookies and tell you stories about the old days than actually do you h

Gerald Bojangles & His Boneyard Jamboree

Really kinda slept on this way this Halloween, didn't I? Missed the train, I did. Ah well. Here we are now, so put your skinless hands together for good ol' Mr. Gerald Bojangles & His Boneyard Jamboree! This is a Ben Cooper style mask (I don't think it's made by Cooper himself, but don't quote me on that), and, honestly, it makes me so happy. Gerald Bojangles just looks so goddamned happy doesn't he? So utterly thrilled to be here with you, in pure skeletal format, so he can play you the organ without his organs. He just looks so very jovial, doesn't he? I mean, he's got a big grin on his face, and an absolutely adorable tiny bowler cap, which just screams "I'm fun!" He looks like the leader of a big swing band in a jazz club, and I'm all for it. I also like the thick black outline that encompasses his entirety, almost like he's ripped straight out of the pages of a comic book. And I would be remiss if I didn't mention the c