Skip to main content

Fleshless Phyllis


To paraphrase MST3K, "Every frame of someone in this movie looks like their last known photo".

This looks like something someone would send to the parents of the woman they've clearly kidnapped, skinned the face off of and are now using it in some fucked up cat and mouse game, which is obviously written by James Patterson. Honestly, this thing is...weird? I don't really know how to broach this subject, exactly, cause there's a lot of levels here. On one hand, this appears to be a woman, using a mask, because the hair doesn't look attached to the mask, and yet the hair seems to fit with the mask so extremely well that it makes me question whether it's their actual hair or not. This is a strange mask too because there's nothing inherently creepy about it, outside the general uncanny valleyness of it all. I mean, it's just a face. It's a glossy, slightly inhuman face, but a face nonetheless. Nothing scary, they're even smiling! The details, the wrinkles, the eyebrows? All fairly solid work.

So why does this thing terrify to me to my absolute core?

Is it because it looks like something a serial killer would wear? Perhaps. Is it because it, for whatever reason, somewhat resembles a hollowed out bloodless Pat Sajak? Maybe. Though I guess I don't know if good ol' Pat wears lipstick like this mask does, but hey, more power to him if he does. You go, Sajak. You do you. There's just something genuinely not alright with this to me. I guess it sort of harkens back to my post about using old people as masks, in the sense of just a mask of a human face is weird enough as it is, even those big rubber Nixon masks, exaggerated as they may be (and they're not that much exaggerated, so), but this one really is unsettling, and I think it's because it's so translucent. It just gives it an even eerier vibe than it already would've had just by the act of its existence. I'm not even sure what you would pair this with as a mask for a costume. Are you just exploring with your gender and trying to see how you'd look as a woman? I mean, it's not really a youthful looking mask, and it's not really that attractive of a mask, so I don't know why you'd use this for your gender exploration, but hey, again, more power to you if you are. I just want everyone to be their best selves and be comfortable with their best selves.

This mask though, which I've dubbed Fleshless Phyllis, rips through me to my core. Why does it appear flesh toned in the first photo but then is actually hollow in this one? And apparently the eyes of the wearers actual eyes, but everything about that first picture makes you automatically assume that that's the face of this mask, which only leads to more confusion when you realize that, no, this mask is hollow and empty. Did they tape a face over the mask? Because it still doesn't look like a real face. The entirety of Fleshless Phyllis makes me uneasy, honestly. There's so much that's unexplainable about it that I simply can't even begin to try and analyze it without screaming into the night and committing myself to months of shock therapy just to forget the horrors I have seen.

Fleshless Phyllis is the epitome of nightmarish masks. It's design makes no sense, the way it works makes no sense, and these photos give off less a "I'm having a fun Halloween" vibe and more a "I keep people in my basement" vibe. And while I love any woman who breaks the mold and decides to wear other peoples faces as her own, swallowing their souls and condemning their humanity to the pits of despair for all eternity, even I wouldn't wanna be anywhere near this thing. In fact, if I saw Fleshless Phyllis in the...well, not the flesh, cause that'd just go against her name, but...let's say in person, even though she's clearly more ethereal fear beast than person, I'd likely shit my pants and then die of terror. In that exact order.

Masks are wonderful things. They embody culture and history and allow us to be different people and creatures, and then sometimes, every now and then, something like Fleshless Phyllis comes along and terrifies us all. This is a remarkable mask for how seemingly simple and yet so effectively horrifying it is simultaneously. I treasure that sort of talent. It's just a face, no more, no less. But it proves that even the most human things can sometimes seem inhuman when done up properly, and that I must commend.

Art, even at its darkest, is still art, and that makes it beautiful, even in the case of Fleshless Phyllis.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dr. Latexstein & His Rubber Brain Of Doom

Why does every single mad scientist look the same? Why's there no variety in this field? Dr. Robotnik, Professor Farnsworth, Dr. Horrible, Professor Membrane, you name a mad scientist and immediately an image is conjured in your head, right? Specifically the goggles. They ALL have these goggles. What is it about these goggles? Where did this trope come from, because I, for the life of me, cannot figure it out. Needless to say, that's what we're dealing with today. And, as with most mad scientists, this guy is one ugly son of a bitch. That's another problem isn't it? They're all typically very unattractive. Big bushy mustaches, enormous noses, their brains popping out of their fluff of electrified hair. Oh wait, that's just Dr. Latexsten here. Yeah, you might be surprised to learn that - especially since you can't see it in the main photo for this post - you can actually see his brain. Wanna see his brain? It's pretty cool. Who doesn't wanna see a

Over The Marrow & Through The Blood

Kids! Get your masks on! We're almost at Grandmas! You know, it surprises me just how many different monster designs have been created over the years, and I think it says something about the elasticity of what a "monster" can be that there's been so many unique takes on the concept. For instance, a monster can be a fully black mass with white hot glowing eyes, or a monster could be a tall creature with elongated limbs and sharp teeth that glint in the moonlight, or a monster can be a girl you take out multiple times who in the end ghosts you because despite saying she was looking for love what she was actually looking for was to make herself feel better at the expense of someone else (LAUREN), but no matter what your definition of a monster may be, one thing is certain: there will always be a new version of a monster. But so rarely do we get a monster that looks more like it's going to bake you cookies and tell you stories about the old days than actually do you h

Gerald Bojangles & His Boneyard Jamboree

Really kinda slept on this way this Halloween, didn't I? Missed the train, I did. Ah well. Here we are now, so put your skinless hands together for good ol' Mr. Gerald Bojangles & His Boneyard Jamboree! This is a Ben Cooper style mask (I don't think it's made by Cooper himself, but don't quote me on that), and, honestly, it makes me so happy. Gerald Bojangles just looks so goddamned happy doesn't he? So utterly thrilled to be here with you, in pure skeletal format, so he can play you the organ without his organs. He just looks so very jovial, doesn't he? I mean, he's got a big grin on his face, and an absolutely adorable tiny bowler cap, which just screams "I'm fun!" He looks like the leader of a big swing band in a jazz club, and I'm all for it. I also like the thick black outline that encompasses his entirety, almost like he's ripped straight out of the pages of a comic book. And I would be remiss if I didn't mention the c